We have very hopeful and exciting news to report!!!!! We have dropped our agency and hired an local attorney on the ground in Goma. He has been moving VERY fast, praise God, to get Nicodemu and Anouarite to safety and to their new family! After much prayer and deliberation, we have made the big jump and we are THRILLED. The Cummings family, see previous posts, switched to him about 3-4 weeks ago after all the fighting broke out and they were scrambling to do better than the process we have been stuck in. They are now in the Congo, having been already united with their 3 children on December 27th! There is a lot more to discuss here about why this attorney is able to move SO much faster than our other attorney who is hired by the agency, but that would take a whole book so I will spare you all for now. It is a very interesting and fascinating study though into Congolese culture and how we can and should "fit" into their system.
We have been in constant contact with our new attorney and we know that the judge is working on our final adoption judgement! We hope to get a call in about 2 weeks that our judgement is complete and that we can book our flights! As soon as we get the final judgment, they will be legally ours, and we can post their pictures for you. (or I guess we could now since we are no longer with our agency, but we think we will wait until we know for sure that they are OURS!)
Please continue to pray that the fighting does not resume!! Chuck and I plan to go into Goma around the 3rd week of January as long as there is still peace. If fighting resumes again, the airport will likely close, and we don't know how we will get them out as the Congo is impassable by car. So, time is of the essence.
Thank you all for taking this journey with us and we will keep you posted!